I don't know when or why but my best friend mention a recipe for Grapefruit Pie recently. I remember thinking how different and fabulous that sounded. I used to not like grapefruit or its juice but then we started purchasing the good stuff, Simply Grapefruit, and I took another look at the fruit.
Now it is one of my favorite fruits. I like the sweeter pink and love to consume it in fruit or juice form. The girls are still learning to like it. I have to giggle because I know what a long road it was for me to get to my love of it today.
That is why I never give up on foods, for myself or the girls. Tastes can change so it is good to revisit foods from time to time.
Regardless of the outcome of this pie on our Easter table the girls enjoyed the process of making it. I took a Strawberry Chiffon Pie recipe from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, and adapted it slightly for grapefruit. It is creamy and has many low-fat and low-sugar substitutions.
We purchased a Shortbread crust because it is a very busy week for us and we wanted to just enjoy the making of the pie.
Grapefruit Chiffon Pie
- 2 1/2 cups pink grapefruit (We used 20 oz Del Monte Jar in light syrup)
- 2 tbsp C&H Light Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 1 tbsp grapefruit juice from fruit jar
- 2 tbsp C&H Light Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup grapefruit juice from fruit jar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Pie Crust (Graham, Shortbread, or pastry)
We used a Pampered Chef Hand Food Processor to chop the grapefruit. Feel free to chop by hand if you do not have one. You will need around 1 1/2 cups chopped grapefruit. Stir in 2 tbsp C&H and 1 tbsp juice and set aside.
Stir together 2 tbsp C&H, gelatin, and 2/3 cup juice in a small saucepan and place on low heat. Stir until everything is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
Into the grapefruit mixture stir the cooled gelatin and chill for 1 hour. Meanwhile beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into gelatin mixture and chill for 1 hour.
Whip coconut milk until soft peaks form and then fold into chilled grapefruit mixture. If filling mounds it is ready to pour into the crust. Extra points if yours does not run into the edges.
Chill for 8 hours and hope no little fingers dip into it before time to serve.
I would love to share with you a sliced piece or tell you how the girls enjoyed it but we are saving it for Easter. There was about 2 tbsp extra filling so I can say it tastes amazing! Try a different fruit in your favorite pie recipe and see what happens.
|She loved that manual processor.|
|Fascinated by egg whites.|
Love citrus like we do? The #SundaySupper team is pulling out all the stops and sharing some amazing citrus recipes this week.
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Fish Tacos with Lime Salsa from Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raw Beet Salad with Citrus Dressing from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
OrangeSorbet from My Cute Bride
Orangeswith Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
OrangePound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
OrangeCream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
Oil Cake with
OrangeMarmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
CaliforniaCitrus Cake from Ninja Baking
OrangeSyrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Orange Crinkle Cookies from Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.