It is one month until our wedding. My parents decided to come visit so my dad could take engagement-type photos and my step-mom could make the girl's dresses. I spent the week cleaning, working, and caring for the girls while also making sure I had all needed items for the dresses. The girl's daddy worked overnights the entire week and the girls had a sleepover at school Friday night. As you are reading this I am running a 10k on The Plaza in Kansas City. It was not an easy week.
I planned this #SundaySupper to be a fun and easy way to end the week. We are celebrating Mexican Independence this week and empanadas sounded fun. Unfortunately, we got too busy to make the traditional version so I decided to cheat and use a ready-made pie crust so we could still enjoy the treat. It did not hurt that our Pampered Chef order with our new Cut-N-Seal arrived this week.
Mo helped me roll out the dough and the girls filled the tarts. We pressed and baked them while enjoying a simple meal with grandparents. After dinner my dad took the beautiful finished photo and we enjoyed our dessert.
Even if you have a busy week it is no reason to skip out on a great way to get together with the family. Find a simple meal you can cook together and enjoy the company. Sundays are a great time to relax and catch up on the previous week before the next one is on you.
|Rolling the dough.|
|Don't walk away, she will continue.|
|Filling the empanadas.|
|Wetting the edges.|
|Ready to bake.|
- Ready-made pie crust
- Fruit spread
Roll out dough and cut circles with a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass. Place 1-2 tsp filling on half the circles. Wet the edges of dough and place the other pieces on top. Crimp edges with fork or Cut-N-Seal. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
This one was all about Mo. Audrey helped a bit but Maurene started working on this before I got into the kitchen. Be careful about leaving a 3 year-old with a rolled out crust and a cutting tool. Mo had several circles cut out of the middle before I could guide her. It worked out as we were able to re-roll the crust and make as many as we needed.
My father took the amazing finished picture of the empanadas and he also took these of the family this weekend:
|The girls look so good here.|
I am so grateful to have such an amazing photographer in the family. And my step-mom almost completely finished both girls dresses and fitted me for mine. It is getting really close! I love having a great family to celebrate with and enjoy our #SundaySupper fun. If you would like ideas for what to make to celebrate Mexican Independence check out what the gang is cooking this week.
Join us around the family table this week for our#SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta - this is a party that you won't want to miss. We hope to inspire you with these mouthwatering recipes from our talented contributors. We will be sharing them all day long and would love for you to share your favorite Mexican and Mexican-inspired recipes during our#SundaySupper live chat at 7pm (Eastern).
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama's Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Diabetic Foodie
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear's Wife
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa - Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma's Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi's in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora's Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas - Juanita's Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin's Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas - The Watering Mouth