|Learning to make white sauce.|
When we started this journey over two years ago none of us knew how to cook. Maurene was only a few weeks old so she had an excuse. But Audrey, she was 21 months old when her grandparents first invited her into the kitchen and she had no idea how to make yogurt, granola, muffins, white sauce, or peanut butter. It took a while, but we remedied that.
- Slow Cooker Yogurt. The easiest way to make yogurt. I tried to learn the old fashioned way on the stove when Audrey was a baby and it always failed. This recipe has never failed us.
- Granola. The girl's paternal grandpa introduced them to granola. It goes well with the homemade yogurt.
- Choose a flavor Muffins. This recipe is one I have been using since before Audrey was born. Simple, yummy, and pretty healthy.
- Homemade Peanut Butter. We love peanut butter and were so thrilled to be able to make it ourselves.
- White Sauce. When I was a little girl my Great-Grandma Rose taught me to make a good White Sauce (roux) for her Creamed Pea recipe. I do not make creamed peas much but love sharing the recipe with my girls. We use it to make cream of mushroom soup for our Pork Chop Casserole.
Take some time and learn to make a few staples. We don't make them all the time but when we do it is enjoyable. There is nothing like a bowl of homemade granola with homemade yogurt to make you feel accomplished. Then you can call yourself Audrey's equal.