Getting children to eat their vegetables can be hard. I know my girls do not always jump at the chance to consume those foods that are more nutritionally dense. Over the years I have learned a few tricks to make vegetables more palatable and eating them seem more fun. Here are my girl's current favorite vegetables:
- Spinach - We add this wonderfully versatile green to many dishes. Our favorite is the green smoothie. Don't turn your nose up until you give it a try. Audrey has taken to begging me to make one every day.
- Carrot - This can sometimes be an easier sell than most other vegetables. The girls love carrot sticks with dip and honey glazed cooked carrots. We have made a wonderful carrot soup and plan to enjoy it again this fall.
- Cauliflower - Surprisingly, this is a favorite in our home. Audrey's daddy loves this vegetable so we enjoy it often, usually steamed. An easy way for the girls to appreciate cauliflower is in Fauxfredo.
- Zucchini - We love to make Zucchini Cupcakes. Zucchini is also great in bread and so many other dishes. I like to chop it and freeze for when we are in a baking mood.
- Eggplant - Not always the easiest sell but since we found a great Eggplant Sticks recipe it is more enjoyable for the family.
We try other vegetables often and the girls learn that different preparation methods can make foods taste different. A lot of times it is all about how a food looks to them. Do not give up in your attempts to introduce new and healthy foods to your children. I look at my eating habits now and am surprised at how much my mother was able to influence my choices.
Please feel free to share your favorite vegetables and preparation methods. Maybe we can try them in our kitchen.