- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar, honey, or agave
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 pound of carrots, scrubbed and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly toasted walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 cupcake tin or put in liners. Put the oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl or in a stand mixer with paddles attached. Beat the mixture until everything is evenly blended. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined. Using a scoop, fill each cup 2/3 full and bake 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit until cool (10-15 minutes) then remove the cupcakes.
Maple Cream Frosting
- 3/4 cup low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup low-fat Greek plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
Add all ingredients and mix until smooth. Once cupcakes are cooled, use a tablespoon to swirl a bit of icing on each one.
- Help measure and add ingredients
- Fill muffin tin
- Help cut strawberries (we added to frosting)
- Mix frosting
- Help mix frosting
- Gather ingredients
- Assist the girls
This was a great recipe and very healthy. If you want a sweet cream cheese frosting for your carrot cupcakes, this is not it. It is light and slightly sweet but still very tasty.