- 1 2/3 cups green split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 smoked pork chop (or leftover bone from a small ham)
- 1/2 cup frozen petit green peas, thawed
- Salt to taste
Place the split peas in the slow cooker; add broth, onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Nestle pork chop into the center of the crock. Cover and cook on low for 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours, until the split peas are completely tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the pork chop and shred the meat off the bone; discard the bone and add meat to soup. Add petit peas and cook for another 90 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Help measure and add ingredients
- Cover and turn on cooker
- Gather ingredients
- Assist Audrey
This was an easy meal to make with a toddler. It would be super easy for an adult to make. We decided to leave out the celery and fresh onion because we had none and instead added dried, minced onion and shredded carrot. It was very tasty. There was a debate about who got the leftovers. There was not much because I took the recipe from a cooking for two book.